UMKC Innovation Center partners with the university and the community to spark and sustain entrepreneurial efforts within our region and across the country.

KCSourceLink connects KC entrepreneurs to the right resource at the right time.

MOSourceLink connects Missouri entrepreneurs to the right resource at the right time.

Whiteboard2Boardroom connects entrepreneurs and businesses to technologies available for licensing.

Digital Sandbox KC provides early-stage proof-of-concept support for digital products.

Missouri Small Business & Technology Development Center provides technical assistance to startup and existing businesses.

ScaleUP! Kansas City helps businesses with revenues around $200K scale toward their first $1 million.

Missouri Procurement Technical Assistance Centers helps local businesses obtain government contracts.

KCInvestED helps investors learn more about investing in KC startups.

SourceLink® helps communities nationwide build vibrant and vital entrepreneurial ecosystems.
UMKC Innovation Center

Opening a Business in Missouri

Welcome to Missouri, a great place to do business. If you are already incorporated in another state and want to open a branch office or do work in Missouri, here is valuable information. You can also check out the Missouri Secretary of State's FAQs regarding doing business in Missouri.

According to the Secretary of State's office, the following need a Registered Agent:

All foreign and domestic corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships registered in Missouri must maintain a registered agent. The registered agent must have a Missouri address. The registered agent's business office must be identical to the entity's registered office. 

Find a list of Missouri Registered Agents.

Registering as a foreign entity

The forms to register as a foreign entity can be found on the Missouri Secretary of State's website.

Corporations:Application for Certificate of Authority for a Foreign For-Profit Corporation (Corp. 42)

Limited Liability Company:  Application for Registration of a Foreign Limited Liability Company (LLC 4)

Limited Partnership: Application for Registration of a Foreign Limited Partnership in Missouri (LP 42)

Limited Liability Limited Partnership: Application for Registration of a Foreign Limited Liability Limited Partnership in Missouri (LLP 1)

Transient Employer License

Out of state companies who temporarily transact any business in the state of Missouri are defined as transient employers and are required to register, file a bond and remit withholding tax to the Missouri Department of Revenue.

Register for Withholding Tax (Transient Employer - Bond required) and Missouri Corporate Income Tax (if a corporation). Form 2643.

Should you have any questions pertaining to the Transient Employer License you may also contact their office by telephone at: (573) 751-0459.

Local business licenses

Business licenses are done at the local level.  Some cities and counties require transient employees to obtain business licenses.  To find the phone number of the city/county office go to

Relocating Your Business

The Missouri Partnership has a number of resources for businesses who want to relocate in Missouri.

Connect with us!

Get insights, inspiration and events to help you start, grow and accelerate MO businesses.


How can we help you?

Our team helps grow entrepreneurship in Missouri every day.