Sling Health STL is the founding chapter of Sling Health, a national student-run non-profit organization that was founded in 2013 by medical students at Washington University in St. Louis to confront the surplus of unsolved clinical problems they encountered within the hospitals.
The organization brings together a diverse group of students, clinicians, and local entrepreneurs to develop and commercialize solutions to improve patient health care.
- To make medical entrepreneurship attainable for students and physicians
- To integrate students from the schools of medicine, business, engineering, and arts & sciences to tackle unmet clinical needs by developing and commercializing solutions to real-world healthcare problems
- To provide resources, training and mentorship to participating teams through an experiential platform
Our organization cultivates teams through an 8-month experiential program, which includes clinical assessment, prototype creation, and business development. Program participants are required to attend milestone meetings in St. Louis, MO. Teams also receive opportunities to pitch in various competitions and events, including through our annual Demo Day.
Sling Health STL teams receive resources, support, and mentorship throughout the process. Team members retain 100% of the intellectual property and equity of the solutions they create through the program.
1) Initial funding,
2) Lab, office, and workshop space,
3) Prototyping tools and equipment,
4) Legal services including patent and incorporation support, and
5) Mentorship from clinicians, industry experts, and local entrepreneurs via design reviews.