The Economic Development Corporation (EDC) is a not-for-profit organization that provides assistance to new and expanding businesses already located in Kansas City, Mo., or those considering a Kansas City location.
For existing small businesses, the EDC offers assistance with expansion, relocation, technical assistance and advocacy. Specifically, EDC offers:
- Site location, job training and financing for expanding business
- Sponsorship of the annual LaunchKC grant competition providing 10 grants of $50,000 per grant for early stage businesses every year
- Access to other programs such as job training for businesses that are relocating to Kansas City
- Demographic information, identification of state and local incentives and financing for businesses that are relocating to Kansas City
- Technical assistance and advocacy to assist in resolving challenges and capitalizing on opportunities
- Succession planning, workforce development and facility planning for growing businesses
- Co-sponsorship of the annual Techweek conference in September. Techweek is designed o build a better world through tech entrepreneurship by showcasing local & national innovative ides.
- Advocacy with legislators and government agencies
The EDC also offers loan programs to small business through the EDC Loan Corporation of Kansas City.