Start-up companies can begin with the end in mind, anticipating future growth even when their only employees are founders nurturing a business idea. But too often start-up companies get bogged down navigating the legal issues associated with attracting, motivating and retaining talent that is critical to growing their business.
This presentation will discuss some of the legal issues and best practices that start-up companies should consider when hiring and incentivizing employees and consultants. Topics covered will include:
- Onboarding agreements and non-compete/non-solicit issues
- Classifying new hires as employees or contractors
- Common wage and hour issues and missteps
- Anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and anti-retaliation basics
- Compensation basics – base salary, bonus opportunities, and employee benefits
- Equity incentives – types, tax considerations and best practices